Nigeria Professional Football League NPFL Group B table toppers Akwa United will aim to maintain their leadership position this weekend when they square up against joint leaders El-Kanemi Warriors in Maiduguri on Matchday 13 fixture on Sunday.
The Promise Keepers ascended to the top of Group B table following a run of eight unbeaten games in which they amass 20 points from a possible 24. They will be hoping to continue their impressive run on Sunday against the team that defeated them on the opening day of the season in Uyo.
The shock defeat against this weekend’s opponents was the Promise Keepers’ first defeat at the Nest of champions in more than two seasons.The Uyo based side have won two, drawn three with just one defeat in their last six away games and a positive result in Maiduguri will be enough for them to cement their place at the summit of Group B league table.
League leading scorer Mfon Udoh will lead the team’s attack in Maiduguri. Strike partner Ndifreke Effiong who made his debut for the Super Eagles in a 1-0 win over Egypt in an international friendly and U-23 youngster Etboy Akpan have also made the trip.
Speaking ahead of the game, striker Mfon Udoh told the club’s official website www.akwaunitedfc.net that the team is on a special redemption mission in Maiduguri.
“The game on Sunday will be a tough one, considering the fact that it will involve the two top teams in the Group. We are on top of the log on superior goal difference but this is an opportunity for us to take our pound of flesh and redeem ourselves from that opening day defeat to El-Kanemi Warriors in Uyo.
“We didn’t deserve to lose that match at home because we played well that day but that is football. We have corrected some of those early mistakes and our confidence is at the highest level, so we have to give our very best to ensure we get the desired result because we have been motivated and inspired for this crucial encounter.
“I’m particularly very happy with the way our league is developing, teams are winning and picking vital points away from home, so this is a big motivation for all the players and teams that if you play well irrespective of the venue, that you can win any match. By the special grace of God, I want to continue scoring goals for my team so we can win as many games as possible and also achieve our aim at the end of the season” said the striker.
In the last seven meetings between El-Kanemi Warriors and Akwa United, the Maiduguri side have the upper hand with four wins to the Promise Keepers’ three while one of those matches in 2015 ended in stalemate.

One Response

  1. It’s said if water covers 79 percent of the earth surface , the remaining 21percent is by Ngolo Kante of Chelsea. For you akwa united on revenge mission in Maiduguri cover the elkanemi 100 percent for 90+ minutes, Bon Chance! Don’t concede any early goals *

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *